TECUMSEH SECONDARY SCHOOL
ALUMNI & STAFF REUNION
OFFICIAL SITE

Home
2016 Reunion
Accommodations
Staff & Alumni
Newsletters
Misc Photos
1970
1971
1972
1973
1974
1975
1976
1977
1978
1979
1980
70s Trivia
Capitol Theatre
2011 Photos
71 35th Reunion
76 30th Reunion
Sponsors


Chatham Capitol Theatre
King Street West
Chatham

Southwestern Ontario's Landmark Performance Venue
 

The Chatham Capitol Theatre is a 1214-seat entertainment venue in the heart of downtown Chatham, Ontario.  The theatre first opened as a movie house in 1930 and has recently undergone a reconstruction to become a first-rate destination for live entertainment.  The theatre officially opened it's doors to the public in September 2010.

The Capitol features a deluxe new balcony with 455 seats in addition to the 759 seats on the orchestra level.  The 65-foot fly tower and state-of-the-art rigging allows for larger scale and more technically advanced productions.  The orchestra pit is designed for the optimal acoustic experience and can also be raised to floor of stage level as desired.

The theatre features art deco detailing throughout with gilded decor, opera boxes, an ornate ceiling and much more.  It is equipped with three lounges, and elevator and is fully accessible.


 

The Main Auditorium features the largest proscenium stage between Windsor and London, and orchestra pit, 65 foot high fly tower and state of the art rigging.  It has 1214 seats, 759 on the orchestra level and 455 in the balcony, all with a fantastic view.  Gilded art deco decor provides a touch of elegance all around.
 



History


Late 1927
- The dream of a new modern theatre in the downtown core of Chatham was begun by Charles Hadley, a prominent businessman in the city.

April 11, 1930 - Mayor Burton L. Bedford formally opened the new Capitol Theatre and dedicated it as the Palace of Pastime to a sold out audience. With a seating capacity of 1500, it was one of the largest theatres in Western Ontario. The opening night feature was the musical comedy “Sally” staring Marilyn Miller.

The next 20 years - The Theatre seating capacity was reduced to 1,000 seats and many minor renovations were undertaken, such as the relocation of the ticket booth from inside to outside the theatre.

1975 - The largest renovation took place when the theatre was split down the centre into two cinemas of 472 seats each, thus bringing the total seats down to 944.

1992 - Famous Players Theatre abandoned the property as a viable movie theatre and the City of Chatham purchased the property.

November 1995 - The Chatham Capitol Theatre Coalition made a proposal to save the theatre and restore it as an entertainment venue. The Coalition was later incorporated as a not-for-profit organization and obtained Registered Charitable status in August 1996.
 



© Copyright 2016 - D. Scott Primeau
www.primeaumusic.com
All Rights Reserved